Ten

I am trying to remember the first words we ever said to each other. I think you said, 'Are you waiting for someone?' I didn't realize it at the time, but to answer your question: yes, I was.

It began right here, where you were guided by a few fortuitous clicks and chose to leave a comment. I retraced those steps and saw your heart. That was all it really took to begin. Beginnings are always glorious and we were no exception: free of heart and full of drive to spend every possible moment together. When I look back to those times, I realize with great affection how young we were, how everything around us was illumined by the love we could not contain.

They say love wanes when the first rush of excitement dies down. I have never felt a waning. Love brews, simmers and thickens. It is burnished with every day that we live together, growing into our veins and minds, taking up space that we did not know we had. Where I earlier found wonder at something new about you, I now find a gush of familiar affection at your constancy. I find it incredible that we never tire of saying the words, even if they sometimes come with a roll of the eyes.

I am grateful for many things today: life, health, friends, family, a yearning to find more that never seems to die. Yet with you, there is a part of me that knows no more want. For that and for so much more, I am grateful for you, and I will always be.

We have lived together, laughed and cried together, planned together, travelled together and shared the greatest and smallest moments of our lives. You are my road and my journey; I hope this trip never ends.

Always in love and with love,
S.

Comments

Popular Posts